Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Top Ten Debut Novels



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the other blog I participate in:The Broke and the Bookish. We are particularly fond of lists, so hop on over and show us yours!

This week's Top Ten:
Top Ten Debut Novels

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling: well of course I was gonna list this one first! The sheer epicness of the Potter-craze and seeing how the books are still among my favourites.. I can't imagine anything topping this for me.

2. Unearthly by Cynthia Hand: LOVED this book and can't wait for the next one in the series!

3. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss: LOVED this one as well and so hoping March gets her soon with the sequel!

4. The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin: after falling in love with the cover, I absolutely loved the story as well! The sequel is sitting on my shelf, waiting for next week when I have vacation and all the time in the world to enjoy it properly :)

5. Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder: the first book I ever read by this author, and have loved several others since. She always has strong heroines and swoonworthy heroes.

6. Graceling by Kristin Cashore: I loved the whole concept of Gracelings and have yet to read Fire, but I'm sure I'll love it as well. I loved Katsa and Po both.

7. Wish by Alexandra Bullen: loved this book and hope to love Wishful Thinking as well!

8. War For The Oaks by Emma Bull: SOOO good! Go read it!

9. Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell: for the epicness is the lovestory of Rhett and Scarlett. Watched the movie on Christmas Day and really enjoyed revisiting my old friends.

10. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen: to close it off the debut book of my all-time favourite author.

It seems I haven't read that many debut novels.. Took me a while to come up with these!
What's on your list?

11 comments:

  1. I realized I hadn't read that many debut books either or else that I didn't KNOW if they were debuts. I've heard excellent things about Unearthly. I might have to pick it up at some point this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with Harry Potter and Sense and Sensibility!! I am looking forward to reading Unearthly .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Potter-mania was amazing, wasn't it? I put Twilight on my list because of the craze it was, but somehow Potter didn't make? Or any classics for that matter. Someone needs to come and take my English degree away now. I can't wait to read Unearthly, it sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I was thinking of adding Poison Study to mine as well. Love those books. I have Wish on my kindle- will need to get started on reading that! Thanks for sharing your list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of good choices! Thanks for the recommendation on Scarlett. I’ll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list. And a few recommendations I haven't read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list. I forgot that I was going to put Sense and Sensibility on my list, too. oh well. So many books, so many lists!

    Great call on Gone with the Wind, also.

    I looked it up, too and Wikipedia says that A Great and Terrible Beauty was Libba Bray's first novel (published in 2003). What does your source say her first book is?

    I took a little bit of license with my list as I put Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and technically it wasn't her first book either but it was her first YA book, up to that time she had only written children's books.

    -Anne
    Headfullofbooks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know Sense and Sensibility was Austen's first -- I more or less passed over the classic authors altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL!
    I've only read 2 of those and have another one in my TBR pile :) I should probably check the others!

    Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GWTW made my list and I love Austen - although Sense and Sensibility is my least favorite of hers. I started with Pride and Prejudice and Emma and nothing could live up to those for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome list! Poison Study sounds like an interesting premise (another book added to my TBR!) I've read a synopsis of Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, but I just can't decide if it would be something I'd enjoy. Maybe I'll check it out some more. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete