Saturday, April 14, 2012

Review of A Rogue By Any Other Name by Sarah MacLean


Title/Author: A Rogue By Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels #1) by Sarah MacLean
Publisher/Date published: Avon, March 1st 2012
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley and pre-ordered myself a shiny finished copy! :)

Goodreads summary: "What a scoundrel wants, a scoundrel gets...
A decade ago, the Marquess of Bourne was cast from society with nothing but his title. Now a partner in London’s most exclusive gaming hell, the cold, ruthless Bourne will do whatever it takes to regain his inheritance — including marrying perfect, proper Lady Penelope Marbury.
A broken engagement and years of disappointing courtships have left Penelope with little interest in a quiet, comfortable marriage, and a longing for something more. How lucky that her new husband has access to such unexplored pleasures.
Bourne may be a prince of London’s underworld, but he vows to keep Penelope untouched by its wickedness — a challenge indeed as the lady discovers her own desires, and her willingness to wager anything for them... even her heart."

You guys, it feels like I've been waiting FOREVER for this book!! After reading and loving the book in the Love By Numbers trilogy I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. And while I think I love her other books more, this book didn't disappoint me in the least!

I LOVED that Penelope and Michael (Bourne) had history together! I mean, they grew up together, so of course they knew each other pretty well. Because of this it wasn't hard to believe at all that they fell for each other in the space of a week.

I really, really liked Penolope! Ever since Eleven Scandals To Start To Win A Duke's Heart, I'd been wanting to find out more about this 'perfect Penelope' and if she would find her happily ever after in the end. Cause let's face it, being jilted by a duke who everyone thinks is passionless, who then proceeds to marry another woman within a week isn't the beginning of that usually. And it wasn't for Penelope, she had a hard time of it, but she came out a lot stronger because of it.

And it takes a strong woman to love Michael Bourne. Really, that man is an expert at pushing people away and even though he has his better qualities, I don't know if I could have done what Penny did and wait until he came to his senses. I loved that she didn't just wait around, but actually confronted him about his actions. And of course love conquers all, as it should in a historical romance novel!

Sarah MacLean definitely knows how to tell a lovestory and she had me smiling broadly within 12 pages of starting the book! I love how she mixes romance with humour and the sexytimes are REALLY good. But most of all: she makes me feel ALL THE THINGS! Happy, sad, anxious, everything. I finished this book within 24 hours of starting this and would have done so sooner if it hadn't been for the fact that sometimes I should also pay a little attention to my boyfriend ;)

I am pre-ordering the next book in the series: One Good Earl Deserves A Lover, which is about Penelope's sister Pippa and from the little preview I got of it at the end of A Rogue By Any Other Name it's gonna be another amazing read! Reading this one actually has me itching to re-read the Love By Numbers series and if you haven't, it's obviously very much recommended!

My rating: 4,5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Lovely review!!

    I think I'm gonna buy this. I did read the first of the love by numbers books, and I liked them well enough, but I somehow never got around reading the next few.

    But I love the sound of this one, and I remember the writing to have been quite good. Plus, I usually like books that have to do with Gaming Clubs (Hello, Dreaming of You! lol ) so I'll give it a go.

    Thanks for the lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too!! I've read it within 24 hours too :P Penelope is just awesome :) <3 <3

    So glad you loved it Daisy!! :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED THIS BOOK. Sarah MacLean can just do no wrong in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete