Thursday, September 5, 2013

Review of Burn For Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian


Title/Author: Burn For Burn (Burn For Burn #1) by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
Publisher/Date published: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers, September 18th 2012
How I got this book: bought it with one of my shiny paychecks
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY...
THEY GET EVEN.

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.

Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person – her ex-best friend – and she's ready to make her pay.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.

Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.

Guys, I love novels like this one. I love the plot of three girls teaming up to get back at the people who have hurt them. LOVE. So I was really excited to start this and GUYS IT WAS SO GOOD!!

I really liked that we get introduced to all three girls before they start to plot their revenge, so I could get a feel of what motivates them before we start the actual nasty business. They come from different backgrounds and each of them had their own distinct voice and I liked that. I was never confused as to who was narrating the chapter because you could just tell by the writing style who it was. And it was AWESOME! I love Kat for being a badass and Lillia for her protectiveness of her sister, I'm still sorta warming up to Mary, but I'm guessing she'll play a much bigger role in the next book! I love how these three girls form an uneasy, sort of uncomfortable friendship and a pact to exact their revenge together.

And boy did they have it coming. Really, especially Kat and Mary's targets. I wasn't wholly convinced Lillia's should be taken down, but hey, it was fun to read about! They come up with some pretty harsh stuff and really targeted each person's weakness. It was seriously messed up and that's what I liked about it. I mean, if you're gonna take someone down, you better not do it half-assed you know? These girls aren't interested in playing nice, they got hurt and they want these people to be hurt as well.

And seriously, the whole setting? EPIC HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA AT ITS BEST! Books like Burn For Burn make me happy that in Holland we don't really have high school football/soccer and cheerleading. I mean, we had popular mean kids, but nothing like this.

I got sucked into this story and just breezed right through it because I could not put it down! It was amazing and I wanted to know more and GAH! I'm so happy I don't have to wait for the second book to come out for a year!! :D This is definitely a perk of hopping onto the bandwagon late!

My rating: 4,5 stars

Made me crave: couscous (with chicken, peaches, raisins, mint, pecan nuts, ALL OF THE GOOD STUFF)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked it, Daisy, I'm a bit on the edge about it but you're convincing me, I hope you get to read Fire with Fire soon :D

    ReplyDelete