Friday, January 9, 2015

Review of The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion


Title/Author: The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion
Publisher/Date published: Simon & Schuster, October 1st 2013
How I got this book: bought it
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: Don Tillman, professor of genetics, has never been on a second date. He is a man who can count all his friends on the fingers of one hand, whose lifelong difficulty with social rituals has convinced him that he is simply not wired for romance. So when an acquaintance informs him that he would make a “wonderful” husband, his first reaction is shock. Yet he must concede to the statistical probability that there is someone for everyone, and he embarks upon The Wife Project. In the orderly, evidence-based manner with which he approaches all things, Don sets out to find the perfect partner. She will be punctual and logical — most definitely not a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker, or a late-arriver.

Yet Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is also beguiling, fiery, intelligent — and on a quest of her own. She is looking for her biological father, a search that a certain DNA expert might be able to help her with. Don's Wife Project takes a back burner to the Father Project and an unlikely relationship blooms, forcing the scientifically minded geneticist to confront the spontaneous whirlwind that is Rosie — and the realization that love is not always what looks good on paper.

Guys, I LOVED this book! It was so sweet and funny and just such a feel-good book, I was basically smiling pretty much the whole time I was reading it. I love books that make me smile.

Let me tell you first that I also have a lot of love for The Big Bang Theory and Don Tillman reminds me of Sheldon. And I adore Sheldon's quirks. And Don is actually a more friendly version than Sheldon, he's just also stuck in his routine and doesn't know how to deal with people and people don't know how to deal with him. But really, he's a true friend and a wonderful person and I love him. And he says things like 'In order to prevent further violence, I was forced to sit on him.' I snorted at that one.

I loved getting a glimpse into Don's mind, his brilliant mind, and how he has designed his life and the people he leaves his mark on. I loved how he deals with problems and how it gets him into even more trouble, like the one the quote comes from. He was funny without meaning to and I was just amazed by things like his Standardized Meal System and how it does make a lot of sense, but I wouldn't see myself implementing something like it. And then he goes and makes a questionnaire to find his ideal partner. And it's in the back of the book and it was just awesome.

And then there's Rosie, who is everything Don is NOT looking for in a woman: a smoker, late, vegetarian. She barges into his life and disrupts it and it actually turns out to be a perfect fit (ok, nobody really counts this as a spoiler, right?) and I loved them together! They dance and she makes Don step out of his comfort zone and risk his job to help her find her biological father and I think they just bring out the best in each other. And she doesn't try to change him in big ways, but accepts him, but just asks him to try something different. And it works while he stays true to himself.

I just totally loved the crap out of this book, it was smart, sweet and funny and simply amazing. I had never expected to love it this much, but I did and I'm so happy I decided to pick it up! Do yourself a favor and get in on this action, cause it is one of the best books I read in 2014!

My rating: 5+ stars

No comments:

Post a Comment